• 1/2 cup cornmeal (polenta – use a fine version)
• 1/2 cup flour
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
• 1/2 cup soya milk
1. Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well
2. Add the oil and soya milk and keep mixing.
3. Leave to stand for 5 minutes (not essential if you’re in a hurry)
4. Cook in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. Mine is perfect at 2 mins 40 secs but, of course timing will depend on your oven’s power. Check that it’s cooked by inserting a knife.
5. Turn it out of the bowl and leave to cool on a rack
It’s really easy to jazz this up by adding some herb or spice you really like. My weakness is for chilli corn bread.
If you prefer a crustier top try brushing with oil before cooking. It won’t brown (microwaves don’t do brown) but it’ll get a bit chrunchier.
Recipe courtesy of Pamela Maunsell of Microwave Heaven.com. Check her site for more vegan microwave recipes.